Bordentown Library Association

About Us

Through the will of Mrs. Hannah S. Cook, the nucleus for the present library was established. Her kind bequest of over $1,800 received by the Association in May, l939, enabled the Trustees to purchase, for $l,000, a future building site at the corner of Prince Street and Railroad Avenue. Upon this, they hoped, at some far distant date, to erect a suitable library building. Their optimistic plan was realized far sooner than they had dreamed of, when, in the fall of l939, Mr. and Mrs. George F. Swift, Jr, so generously presented $10,000 to the Library Association, to be used towards the erection of a permanent building.

Reconsideration by the Library Trustees in 1940 resulted in the sale of the Prince St. lot, it being deemed an unwise location for the future surroundings of a library. In August, 1940, another site, 100 x 120 feet, was secured on East Union Street at a cost of $750, and in October, 1940, ground was broken for the present building.

The unexpected death of Miss Louise B. Murphy, in 1938, and that of her sister, Mrs. Annie M. Semple, one year later, brought substantial bequests to the Library Association, further contributing to the completion of the plan. These gifts will remain a lasting tribute to their untiring interest, loyalty and oft-expressed wish that "someday, Bordentown could have a worthy free library"

Numerous other donations have at last made the long cherished idea a reality and no small appreciation is due the devoted interest and hours of time so willingly given to its completion by the Board of Trustees.

Now, just twenty years after its incorporation (June, 1921 - June 1941) the comely little brick colonial building is ready for occupancy at a total cost of about $25,000 and is to be dedicated on June 22, 1941.

Written on June 5, 1941

Pauline H. Brakeley, President

 

Photos:
Top Left: Bordentown Library today. Courtesy of Rick Ellis
Center Left: Miss Louise B. Murphy, 1937. Courtesy of Rick Ellis
Bottom Left: Old City Hall, Crosswicks Street. Courtesy of Rick Ellis

A Community Archive Project of the Bordentown Library
 
©2017 Bordentown Library Association
Site Design • Andiamo Creative Company